Children's Crafts How to Make a Plastic Straw House for Kids
by SJ Johnson
Plastic straws (approximately 150)
White PaperCardboard or Construction Paper
How to Make a Plastic Straw House
1. Figure out what size you want your straw house to be. For this project, I made my walls 5 inches and my roof 7 inches. Whatever measurements you choose, just make sure the roof is large enough to form a gable roof (bend in the middle and overhang on the sides).
2. Once you know what size your house will be, cut the white paper to the size you want.
3. Take the paper that will be used as the roof and fold it in the middle to form a gable roof.
4. Open the folded paper.
5. Select straws based on the color pattern you want.
6. Spread the straws out on top of the pieces of paper that will be used for the walls and roof. Make sure you have enough straws to cover each sheet. It should take approximately 25 straws to cover each wall and 35 straws for the roof.
7. Cut the straws to fit each paper. Remove the top "flexible" part of the straw.
8. Take a "wall" and spread glue all over it.
9. Carefully arrange your straws on the glue covered "wall" paper.
10. Repeat this process for all of the "walls" and for the "roof."
11. Allow each piece of paper to thoroughly dry.
12. Use a piece of cardboard or construction paper as the foundation of your house. This makes the house easier to move once it is assembled.
13. Glue your walls together and allow them to dry thoroughly.
14. Place the roof on the house.
15. If you want a slightly raised gable roof, place a straw under the roof to hold it up. You can cut the straw to whatever height you want your gable roof to be.
This colorful straw house is not only a fun craft for kids to make, but it is also fun for adults. The best thing about this craft is that if your child makes a mistake, you can easily start over. Once completed, the plastic straw house makes a great toy, inexpensive children's party centerpiece or colorful display.
All logos, images, and artwork © www.CupofJavaProductions.com 2014 - all rights reserved