Natural Home Remedies Using Baking Soda, Vinegar and Lemons by SJ Johnson
Credit: SJ Johnson
Baking soda, vinegar and lemons are three natural products that solve many household and beauty dilemmas. Furthermore, you won't feel guilty using them because they are safe around food, children and pets. Although there are some chemicals I cannot stand to part with, I have gradually started to use natural products around the house and as beauty aids. The difference has been astounding. Chemicals cause unwanted side effects, such as noxious fumes, skin irritation and potential health hazards; however, natural products do not have the same adverse effects. In addition, baking soda, vinegar and lemons are naturally eco-friendly. Here is a list of home remedies using baking soda, vinegar and lemons:
- Add baking soda to your cat's litter box to eliminate odors.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda to your laundry to freshen the load.
- Avoid refrigerator odors by adding a box of baking soda to the fridge every three months.
- Pour baking soda down the drain to get rid of pipe odors. Allow the baking soda to sit overnight. In the morning, pour a pot of hot water down the drain.
- Baking soda is a natural abrasive. Substitute baking soda for harsh chemical abrasives.
- Use baking soda to dry out pimples. Make a paste with water and baking soda. Apply the paste to your pimple before bedtime. The swelling and redness will be gone by morning.
- Vinegar is a natural whitener. Apply vinegar to your white clothes to remove perspiration stains.
- Vinegar will remove odors from your clothing.
- Use vinegar to get your windows and mirrors sparkly clean.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- ACV makes a great hair rinse to remove shampoo residue; however, dilute the apple cider vinegar with water because undiluted it can irritate your eyes.
- Apple cider vinegar is also a great natural deodorant. Apply ACV to your underarms 15 minutes before you shower. The vinegar smell will disappear within minutes after your shower.
Lemons - Use lemons to clean your microwave. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a bowl of warm soapy water, and then place the lemon into the bowl. Place the bowl into the microwave, and turn the microwave on. Keep the microwave on long enough to create steam. This should take approximately 3 minutes. During that time, the steam will start to clean your microwave. After the timer goes off, keep the door closed for several minutes to allow the microwave to cool. Carefully, remove the bowl and wipe the microwave clean.
- Rub lemons on scars and brown spots to lighten them.
- Apply lemon juice to your hair for natural highlights.
Natural remedies will help you avoid using chemicals around children, pets and food. In addition, it will help save the environment from harsh products that are not biodegradable. Most of all, natural remedies are good for your wallet. What's not to like?